, , , , ,

Those of you who are kind enough to read this blog might recall that I took delivery of numerous plants from my pal Liz who has headed off up North. The plants were all container grown which were too large and too numerous to easily transport. Rather than leave them behind to die she gave them to her garden friends. Lucky me. First off is the tree.

Arriving 8 August

Strapped across the cab of the pickup , wrapped in a blanket is an Acer which Tony helped identify as Acer Sango-Kaku. Anyway the tree has been tied to my garage door awaiting its new home.

Here it stood for almost two weeks. I decided it was too delicate for my very exposed garden and offered it to my colleague. Looking at the forecast for high winds I wanted to get the tree moved. So earlier this week the tree was loaded back onto the pickup and transported a few miles to its new home. A recycled whiskey barrel had been purchased and was ready waiting for us to plant up.

On the road again

Thanks to all the rain, the tree was very heavy but it was pleasing to see that where it was no longer pot bound some of the roots had already grown, reaching out from the rootball.

Looking beautiful in its new home

Fully installed in its new barrel the Acer looks perfect, an instant screen. Where once there was a field behind the garden there are now houses. so much nicer to look at the tree.

View from behind the garages

Rather gratifying to see it finally installed in its new home. The tree done, second up are the shrubs.

Warning, the next shot is not pretty.


Digging a planting hole in wet clay
Blue clay to be precise

This stuff is hideous. It bakes like concrete when dry and holds water in puddles. I have dug out buckets full of the stuff and replaced it with a good layer of grit and masses of compost. Tough work, not for the faint hearted! Holes dug, attention next to the plants themselves.


Root trimming

Before planting any of the shrubs I gave their roots a serious haircut. I also trimmed off almost a quarter of the top growth. This should stimulate bushier growth. Kill or cure.

This area was started during lockdown. A former patio, the annuals were pulled out a bit earlier than planned but fortuitous timing for these shrubs.

Other plants have gone to my place of work including a dissected leaf red Acer which would curl up and die in my windy garden and a rather sick looking Bay Tree which will romp away in the chalky soil.

Still waiting to be moved into new pots or the ground are a variety of hostas, a couple of ferns and Veratrum. These will be sorted over the next couple of days. Thanks Liz.


There has been lots of chatter about our weather: blistering heat followed by storms, high wind and rain. In preparation for the high winds I decided to move my collection of Aeoniums and favourite pelargoniums under cover.

The key thing is that in here they will have time to dry out. As soon as things improve I will move them back outside again. A bit of a faff but I know they hate too much rain.



Whilst weeding this week I was startled by this critter. It was thrashing about on the ground. It is definitely a caterpillar as it has feet and look at its horn like tail. Yuck. Can anyone identify it for me? It was nearly 5cm in length. This was at work so chalky ground amongst Corsican pine trees.

To finish my six with something pretty.


A rose. Photographed last Sunday before the weather moved in.

Rose Lark Ascending

These are my six things for this week. Joining our host Jon The Propagator . To join in is simple and the terms are on the link above.

Enjoy your weekend wherever you are and thanks for reading. D.