Tomorrow my garden is open in aid of the National Garden Scheme, NGS. For those who do not know, the NGS is a registered charity which in 2017 raised a whopping £3.1m, not bad from open gardens and selling tea and cakes, This was divided amongst the following charities: Macmillan Cancer Support, Marie Curie, Hospice UK, Carers Trust, Queen’s Nursing institute, Parkinson’s UK, Perennial, MS Society, Maggie’s Centres, Leonard Cheshire, Horatio’s Garden and not amongst gardeners as one friend thought.
I have worked flat out in the month of September, weeding, digging, trimming, edging, sweeping, deadheading and watering to prepare the garden as best as possible. I am on first name terms with the chaps at the dump. Rather annoyingly then that the weather has decided to be somewhat inhospitable blowing in a gale and rain. Undeterred I am hoping that a hardy group of gardening types and perhaps Aeonium fanciers will show up.
This splendid bunch have been donated by a very generous chap who prefers to remain anonymous and I shall be selling cuttings for folk to take home. All in aid of NGS. Absolute Aeonium heaven.
2. There will be a selection of cards, old gardening magazines and apple juice for sale. The apple juice has been pressed from the tree in my garden.
3. The roses may be almost finished but there are Cosmos and Zinnias. The main sight is perhaps the Verbena bonariensis.
It has self sown all around the garden and in the cracks in the paving.
4. Blowing in the wind will be a mixture of grasses which are at their peak in early Autumn.
Calamagrostis Karl Foerster, Calamagrostis brachytricha and Stipa tenuissima
5. A small tree which is always admired, not least by me, Cercis canadensis
The red toned heart shaped leaves are delightful.
6. There will be some shelter from the worst of the weather inside my rather grandly named summer house. (It is neither summer nor a house).
Joining our host the Propagator who encourages us to list our top six from our gardens. Thanks for reading.
Now if the weather would just be kind….
Thank you to all my helpers and cake makers, lenders of time and lenders of other bits and bobs, givers of general moral support. I certainly would not be able to this without you. Wishing you all a lovely weekend wherever you are. D.